My favourite films with a witchcraft theme

For posts related to Movies, Music and other forms of media.

My favourite films with a witchcraft theme

Postby AgentCooper » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:47 am

Haxan: The Witch aka Witchcraft through the ages. 1922 if I remember rightly. A beautiful film with a message against hysteria and intolerance (witch-hunts) but with enough salacious indulgence to make for comforting entertainment.
Blair Witch Project: shaky mock documentary horror with an evil 'witch-ghost-demon' and the despatch of irritating would-be film makers.
The Wicker Man. 1973. Family musical with a happy ending. British mystery set in a pagan context tells a tale of class manipulation and exploitation whilst challenging accepted norms of Christian civilised sexual behaviour. A delight. Neo-pagans and wiccans often dislike the portrayal of pagan society in the film but others have found it oddly inspiring.
The Craft. teenage witches flirt with the power of the Craft culminating in a typical battle between good and evil.
Suspiria. Argento's spark of genius with a wonderful score by Goblin. A series of ghastly murders unravels a tale of evil witches that continues in inferno and the tragically poor The Third witch.

One thing that all of these films have in common is that, despite the witch/witchcraft theme, not one will tell you very much about witchcraft or witches.
AgentCooper

Re: My favourite films with a witchcraft theme

Postby Equinox » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I really enjoyed The Craft.

There is Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters. Now that one does at first depict witches in a dark light, but later on redeems itself when it talks about good witches that "do no harm"
~Blessed Be~
Your Local Forum Admin, I'm here to help you. :)
Equinox
Site Admin

Postby CatsenMoon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 am

I really enjoyed the Craft too. Also I liked American Horror Story: Coven, it's pretty messed up but it was really cool. A nice anime one that has subtle Witchcraft hints is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, they even have an enemy called Walpurgisnacht which is a German Christian holiday as well as a Witches holiday used in similarity with the power of Samhain (communicating with spirits) but around the time of Beltane, though the holiday was named after a saint.
It's nice to watch Witch movies and shows that aren't completely real and know they're fiction. A lot of Witches get mad about it, but hey, it is fiction. Though it sucks whenever they use the symbols to depict all Witches, Pagans, or Occult members in a bad light though, I tend to dislike those movies more than others.
CatsenMoon

Postby NipponWicken » Thu May 12, 2016 8:47 pm

I watched the newHanzel and Gretel movie the other day and can't believe how insensitive and racist the movie was. They didn't even acknowledge the witch genocide. Oy Vey! The fascists at the movie studio should be reprimanded and take witch re education courses
NipponWicken

Return to Entertainment